Gold Adventures LLC Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Randy Detecting an Old Miner's Cabin in High Colorado

2 posters

Go down

Randy Detecting an Old Miner's Cabin in High Colorado Empty Randy Detecting an Old Miner's Cabin in High Colorado

Post by Admin Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:07 am

Hey Gold Adventurers...

One great thing about living in High Colorado, and being in the middle of the Colorado Mineral Belt, is there's no end to the old time gold rush and mining history here where I live in Buena Vista.

On many trips out exploring and prospecting I come across old time evidence of mining operations.......pits, old equipment, relics and even some broken down cabins. I found this underground miner's cabin on one of my outings walking the hills. Had a log frame and sod roof. Looked to have 3 small rooms inside and a hallway entrance. Lots of old debris, rusty metal cans, scrap iron and broken glass all over the area surrounding the cabin.

To say I dug up a LOT of JUNK is an understatement! Hoped for maybe just one lost coin or cool relic...

Here's some of the pics FYI:

Randy Detecting an Old Miner's Cabin in High Colorado DSCN1282_zpsc0c58ab4
Randy Detecting an Old Miner's Cabin in High Colorado DSCN1290_zpsf0a96f9b
Randy Detecting an Old Miner's Cabin in High Colorado DSCN1289_zps2716563b
Randy Detecting an Old Miner's Cabin in High Colorado DSCN1288_zps8e40c28f
Randy Detecting an Old Miner's Cabin in High Colorado DSCN1287_zps9c3afa8e
Randy Detecting an Old Miner's Cabin in High Colorado DSCN1286_zpsfe534976
Randy Detecting an Old Miner's Cabin in High Colorado DSCN1285_zpsc10cb20d
Randy Detecting an Old Miner's Cabin in High Colorado DSCN1284_zpsf35c816d
Randy Detecting an Old Miner's Cabin in High Colorado DSCN1283_zps8074e144

The little dry creek bed that ran by the cabin was full of trash too. I did find some areas up the creek where they miners had obviously had worked into the banks, piled up rocks/cobbles and "mined" for gold. In the bottom of the v-notch I found many layers of black sand. Hmmm... So, after lunch I sampled some black sand and took it home in my Ziplock bags. Upon panning the material out, no surprise, a little VERY fine specks & flakes. But, without water to effectively run more material, not worth the effort/distance to get to this location.

So, despite not finding anything valuable, I had a great 3 or so hours enjoying the fresh air, old time miner's cabin.

Hopefully you'll get out, write up a Trip Report, post a few pics for us all to enjoy...

Randy "C-17A" Smile
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://c17a.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Randy Detecting an Old Miner's Cabin in High Colorado Empty Re: Randy Detecting an Old Miner's Cabin in High Colorado

Post by russau Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:00 pm

thanks for the pictures of the cabin Randy! Im surprised you didn't find anything!

russau

Back to top Go down

Randy Detecting an Old Miner's Cabin in High Colorado Empty Re: Randy Detecting an Old Miner's Cabin in High Colorado

Post by Admin Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:33 pm

Russ,

Ha. Well..................I found LOTS of iron, trash, junk..............just nothing of "value? that day. It was kinda windy and cold. Not sure if you can see the cold in the pictures.

Pretty interesting how "messy" all those old miners were. The old log cabins up Low Pass Gulch are literally dumps out back with zillions of old rusty cans and broken bottles. I tried detecting there too............but, again, WAY too much crap, junk. I'd have been better off just digging holes and screening it all in my 1/2 inch classifier! Razz Visually I.D. anything good...

Randy "C-17A" Smile
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://c17a.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by russau Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:55 pm

One mans "trash" is another mans "treasure"!

russau

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down