Gold Adventures LLC Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wanted eng/pump combo??

4 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Wanted eng/pump combo?? Empty Wanted eng/pump combo??

Post by russau Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:16 am

Im looking to replace my 2 stroke 2.5 HP engine on my P90 pump to a used 2.5 HP 4 stroke engine with the tapered shaft. this will be a upgrade for my 2 inch dredge. my engine runs fine but 2 strokes are noisy!!

russau

Back to top Go down

Wanted eng/pump combo?? Empty Re: Wanted eng/pump combo??

Post by Admin Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:29 pm

Russ,

I can appreciate your desire to get away from the 2-stroke setups...

Have you looked at Harbor Freight?

I have had great "luck" with all their stuff...........maybe you'll find a decent deal?

Randy "C-17A" Smile
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://c17a.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by russau Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:37 am

Very briefly! most of their pumps have the straight shaft / keyway and im not interested in one of those. Im not sure how much it would be to tear the engine down and turn the shaft to what I need. BUT maybe it would be worth checking into it deeper! I really liked the engine that was on my 2 inch Proline dredge that I sold a few years ago ,and now id like to get back to that type of setup while im still somewhat still able!

russau

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:13 am

Russ,

Check out this little baby.... 4-cycle, engine & pump combo:

http://www.harborfreight.com/15-79cc-1-in-gas-engine-clear-water-pump-37-gpm-69747.html

Only $139 and use a 20% off HF coupon....even cheaper! It's even at the top of the page, ready to scan or print...

Worth considering. Wink

I have a 8750 HF Predator generator, chop saw, tile saw, nail gun.....all work great, especially for the price...

Randy "C-17A" Smile

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TexGemCutter Wed Dec 16, 2015 5:52 pm

OK, I hope this isn't too far off topic, but is the little Harbor Freight pump strong enough to power a 2" dredge?  Just looking for some firsthand experience.  I like to make some of my own eqpt and have wondered about this pump. Don't mean to hijack this topic.  Please move it if you find it inappropriate here.  Thanks

TexGemCutter

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:30 pm

Hey TexGemCutter,

Well.................honestly................a GREAT question.

I'd have to defer to Russ to maybe go and compare what say Proline or Keene have and use on their 2 inchers.......as to engine size, pump size, water output, etc.

I'd say it would be pretty easy to compare basic specs. Always a balance between too much "power/flow" and cost and size and weight, etc.

That said ............IF I was going to error on the side of caution, I'd probably get a little bigger engine/pump IF I had any doubts...

I saw on my own 4 ich Keene Ultra Mini 4-incher, when I extended the sluice box 4 extra feet, from the initial 2 foot extension, I had to go from 3/4 throttle to full throttle, and that still wouldn't keep it all clean, clear, rocks tumbling all the way out the back of a 7 foot 3 inch sluice box... So, I went back to the initial 2 foot extension setup and all things were great.

Thanks for looking, chiming in! Wink

Randy "C-17A" Smile
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by russau Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:53 am

NO that HF eng/pump is too small(not enough GPM to run a venturi) ! the one im looking for is the engine that Keene / Proline uses on their 2 inch dredge. I had a Proline 2 dredge before but sold it and wish I hadent! the 2 stroke eng/pump I have now is also off a Keene 2 inch dredge and runs fine but , like I said , 2 strokes are noisy. I may just have to bite the bullit and buy a new eng/pump BUT there again Ill probly wait until after my knee replacement to order it if I can find a used engine or engine / pump. id be willing to buy a used eng/pump setup if I could find one reasonable plus shipping!

Last edited by russau on Thu Apr 14, 2016 4:46 am; edited 2 times in total

russau

Back to top Go down

Post by russau Sun Dec 27, 2015 4:50 am

Randy I looked over the HF info on that engine and its got a straight keyed shaft. I need to look at my eng/pump shaft to see if I could make it work! Im assuming that my engine has a tapered shaft. I need to see if the impellor could be made to work if theres enough material to be opened up to the 5/8 inch keyed shaft of the HF engine. Ill look into that today!

russau

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sun Dec 27, 2015 6:55 am

Russ,

Well.............IF the HF engine/water pump combo comes as a combo unit.........what difference does a straight keyed shaft vs. a tapered shaft make?

Are you going to try and remove the HF water pump and attach your own water pump?

Why not just use the complete unit as is, install it.....run it? You have me a little curious now as to your engine/pump/dredge plan...

Randy "C-17A" Smile
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by russau Sun Dec 27, 2015 8:18 pm

Yes I originally wanted to use the pump I have but on a 4 stroke 2.5 / 3.0 HP engine like Keene and Proline use. But that HF 3 HP engine that is currently on sale will not work with my pump. the HF engine has a 5/8 inch keyed shaft and my engine / pump needs a reccesed shaft that has a small metric thread. just not enough meat on it to make it work together! BUT if I buy that 3 HP engine that HF has on sale and bought Keenes small pedistal pump (they both have 5/8 keyed shafts) I could use a love-joy coupling to mate them, plus there maybe room between them to put a pully for a air compressor (im getting ideas here!) The engine is on sale now for $99. and with their 20% off coupon $79. and I need to find out what Keene wants for their small pedestal pump. I could be in business relatively cheap with new equipment! OR I could just call Keene and order a new 2.5HP engine and P100 pump combo and be done with it for approx.$650.......... that's my stumbelling block!! OR just leave it alone and run what I have!

russau

Back to top Go down

Post by russau Sun Dec 27, 2015 8:20 pm

Randy the HF engine / pump combo they have dosent have enough GPM to run a venture or a suction nozzle!

russau

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon Dec 28, 2015 5:28 am

Russ,

O.K. NOW I understand............ I thought that the specs on the HF engine and pump were close enough to say the Keene or Proline setup to run the small dredge you built.

Good luck on making it all work out............or finding another engine/pump combo for cheap!

Randy C-17A Smile
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by russau Tue Dec 29, 2015 5:21 am

I think I got you confused ! Keene and Prolines eng. /pumps would work excellent , BUT cost more than I want to spend for one of their systems. I was refer to the HF eng. / pump combo that's on sale , being insufficient to run a 2 inch setup ! I looked over Keens cat. and see that their stand alone pump P100($250.) w/5/8 inch keyed shaft and HF 3HP engine ($79. w/coupon)w/ 5/8 shaft using a Love-Joy coupling would work fine for me VRS. Keenes 2.5 HP engine w/ a P100 pump ($650) is getting a little pricey for me right now ! I would have been happy with a used setup BUT.........surgery in a week or so so maybe I better just hold off and see how things end up for me!

russau

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:50 am

Russ,

Well...........good luck on both accounts! First, your surgery and second, your engine/water pump quandary...

I am sure you'll get both figured out and emerge the better for it in every way, shape & form!

Randy C-17A Smile
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by dickb Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:45 am

Hi Russ:

The pedestal pump sounds like it is a good solution for you. Best thing is the ease of servicing both engine and pump. if either fails, it's a lot easier and cheaper to find a keyed engine, plus if you decide to add a T-80 to the mix it would be a snap.

Good luck with the knee surgery and hope you get a pretty rehab nurse.

Dickb
dickb
dickb

Back to top Go down

Post by russau Wed Dec 30, 2015 4:17 am

Thanks guys! BUT I don't think ill need a air pump on a 2 inch dredge!Smile Heck I don't really need a 2 inch dredge for that matter and I may end up with 2 of them in my quest to fix up just 1! Whats a guy to do??? I had a dream last night that I won Power ball and went out and bought a BIG Motor couch and one of Keenes new 6 inch Super dredges and decided to tour our Country with my wife and dog in tow! Then I woke up to reality and sore knees! And now im just finishing my 2nd cup of coffee! OH WELL!

russau

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed Dec 30, 2015 7:16 am

Russ,

Ha. Well...............IF you end up with 2 dredges.............you can always sell one to pay for the other and use the other for gettin' gold...

Nice dream.

Rather, I'd say that for 2016 it's more of a premonition, insight into what's to come..... Ha. No doubt you'll win a big Power Ball drawing, get filthy stinkin' rich, tour the country....... Wink

My dreams are usually more confusing.............weird...........and I have the IRS showing up asking for more of my meager wealth. Guess I better mine some more gold!

Randy C-17A Smile
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by russau Thu Apr 14, 2016 4:56 am

Well a update on my quest for looking for a small 4 stroke eng/pump combo for my 2 inch dredge.....NO used engines found! HF , northern tool , and on and on don't have any pumps that would work for me. I called Mark Keene and talked to him and it looks like he has something that will work for sure. Ill be calling him back probly today. BUT how much could I expect to get for that 2 inch dredge that I posted pictures of on another forum here? Keenes pumps are expensive and Prolines are even MORE expensive. Keenes small pumps are close to what a person would pay for a 2 inch pump with a p180. NOT much difference! OH WELL I guess that's the cost of having fun! I also talked to a friend up in Chicago about a eng/pump he has 4 stroke GXH50 that is a couple of years old and had some repairs to it. he wanted $300. for it but shipping was a killer because it had fuel in it once. the shippers said it needed to be cleaned out and the tank purged by some company to be able to ship it. LOTS OF OTHER $$$$$$$. or other shipping thoughts (train ride, just drive up there 5 hours one way) might as well just buy new and have a warrentee ! OR see what kind of deal Mark will give me.

russau

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Thu Apr 14, 2016 6:20 am

Russ,

Well..........good to see you're still dreaming and scheming about gold prospecting & equipment & such.  Wink

So, why can't the Chicago guy just drain the oil, drain & blow out the fuel system..........then wrap the setup in 2 or 3 HD trash bags all tied/taped up in a double wall box?  Mark the contents as "books" or something.  I mean really...

When I buy reloading components like powder or primers I have to pay an additional and silly $19.50 "Haz Mat" fee and you know what, it comes in the same cardboard box, in the same ground truck, all dirty & dinged up like all the rest f my boxes in the shipment.  I can't see ANY special handling or care or concern given it from my other boxes in the shipment, it's just that they get $20 more from me for that box...

How about this....  You find a good used 2 inch or 2 1/2 inch highbanker or highbanker/dredge combo unit for "X" and keep the good/small 4-stroke engine/pump unit and you then resell the setup with another, older, 2-stroke and/or cheaper HF ot Northern new pump and get your money back OR even turn a small profit with the new/bigger engine/pump???

Randy  C-17A  Smile
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by russau Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:55 am

Well "if" I could find such animal I probly would do just that BUT I haven't run across anything like that. I did buy a 2 inch(brand new still in the box) pump BUT I resold it. Over the years Ive bought many pumps and NEVER had such a problem with being a used engine. Ive bought from guys all over the Country BUT that was before 911 and the wacoenviromentalists! Heck I got the little 2 storke from Leonard Leeper last year without any problems.............. and that engine would do just fien except for the noise BUT there are some other things Id like to do with the engine that this 2 stroke wont be able to do easily. also im still wondering if im going to have to much $$$ in this small dredge to sell and break even or make a profit IF it works...... the mid-west people just aren't turning loose of their equipment , then if you try to far out of state the shipping becomes a problem with $$$. This is my dilemma for the day Sad Sad

russau

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:51 am

Russ,

Well..............FWIW, my father last Fall shipped me not one but 2 chainsaws via FedEx ground. He simply drained the gas & oil, double wrapped them in trash bags, taped them up well, put in lots of bubble packing...

No extra "purging" or whatever B.S.

Guess what? Both arrived perfectly. No leaks. I had both running in 30 minutes.

Randy C-17A Smile
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by russau Sat Apr 16, 2016 5:44 am

Yes I agree and also had equipment shipped just like that. I think this guy was just wanting more money for this. I passed anyway on his deal.

russau

Back to top Go down

Post by russau Sat Apr 16, 2016 11:56 am

Actually , now that im thinking about it , I think Ill end up have more into this 2 inch dredge than Ill be able to get out of it if-n-when I want to sell it. But it has all been fun building it and IF I ever am able to get it out and try it , itll all be worth it in the end ! (I hope) !

russau

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sat Apr 16, 2016 2:08 pm

Russ,

Maybe look on Craig's List for a cheap engine/pump combo?

How about looking at all the Pawn Shops or call them?

Gotta be a good used, cheaper 4-cycle engine/pump assy....

Randy C-17A Smile
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by russau Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:59 am

Randy , been there done all of that and nothing ! I need / want to just do it and get it wet out on the Misery or sissippi Rivers. Heck I have a 5 inch submersible dredge I want to build BUT its way to big for me to handle , BUT there again I just want to make it and probly get someone else to run it for me or sell it.

russau

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next