Gold Adventures LLC Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Colorado -- Molly Kathleen Gold Mine Tour

2 posters

Go down

Colorado -- Molly Kathleen Gold Mine Tour Empty Colorado -- Molly Kathleen Gold Mine Tour

Post by Admin Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:24 pm

couple year back I had a chance to take the Molly Kathleen Gold Mine tour in Cripple Creek, Colorado.

Pretty cool to go down 10 levels............or 1,000 feet, walk and ride thru the mine, see how gold ore was mined back in the "olden days" with candles for light, single jacking to drill holes in rock, blasting and mucking, etc.

Here's some pics:

Colorado -- Molly Kathleen Gold Mine Tour DSCN6642
Colorado -- Molly Kathleen Gold Mine Tour DSCN6643
Colorado -- Molly Kathleen Gold Mine Tour DSCN6649
Colorado -- Molly Kathleen Gold Mine Tour DSCN6652
Colorado -- Molly Kathleen Gold Mine Tour DSCN6660
Colorado -- Molly Kathleen Gold Mine Tour DSCN6667
Colorado -- Molly Kathleen Gold Mine Tour DSCN6645

Interesting that this several square mile area was an old volcanic caldera and a lot of the gold rich ores there were Tellurides and other forms of gold in rock, not visible to the naked eye.

Here's a couple ore samples I got there:

Colorado -- Molly Kathleen Gold Mine Tour DSCN6847
Colorado -- Molly Kathleen Gold Mine Tour DSCN6852

These ores had to be milled, crushed and either chemically extracted or smelted to get the gold out. So, that old saying about IF you see colors in nature that are pretty........like blues, blacks, purples, reds........check it out closer...

This tour gave me a HUGE appreciation for being above ground...........out in the sun, weather, enjoying the sights, fresh air.  I'd find it hard to be a hard rock miner...........not impossible IF there was good gold to be had........but just hard!  

Randy "C-17A" Smile
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://c17a.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Colorado -- Molly Kathleen Gold Mine Tour Empty Re: Colorado -- Molly Kathleen Gold Mine Tour

Post by Goldpanner Dave Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:09 am

I understand gold tellurides turn purple when heated. Looks like you have some gold there, even if you cannot see gold color.

Goldpanner Dave

Back to top Go down

Colorado -- Molly Kathleen Gold Mine Tour Empty Re: Colorado -- Molly Kathleen Gold Mine Tour

Post by Admin Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:00 am

Dave,

It was very instructive............a cool tour for sure...

Like I said before...........unless I am getting filthy rich, underground isn't my thing...

I wanna see the sun, TRWs build up, feel the wind, hear the birds and rushing water.......TOP SIDE! Wink

Randy C-17A Smile
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://c17a.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down