Gold Adventures LLC Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Colorado -- Panning the Arkansas River -- 9 Mar 2016

3 posters

Go down

Colorado -- Panning the Arkansas River -- 9 Mar 2016 Empty Colorado -- Panning the Arkansas River -- 9 Mar 2016

Post by Admin Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:09 am

Hey all you Gold Adventurers...

Well, I wanted to get out of the house (again)......hit the Ark and do a little sample panning on a friend's claim and then do a little fly fishing too. So, I did. Wink

Arriving the Ark about 1 PM I decided to check out a small, flat bench area. With the river so low now areas normally under water are accessible. It was in the shade and with the nights here still well below freezing, it was pretty much frozen solid. I scraped up a couple sample pans with material on the surface and panned them. Some black sand and a little fine flood gold. I dug a hole at the water's edge and the darker material had better color. That was my 3rd pan.

Colorado -- Panning the Arkansas River -- 9 Mar 2016 DSC08272_zpshxjfx066
Colorado -- Panning the Arkansas River -- 9 Mar 2016 DSC08273_zps6nqrlqgi
Colorado -- Panning the Arkansas River -- 9 Mar 2016 DSC08274_zps0hrm1wqd
Colorado -- Panning the Arkansas River -- 9 Mar 2016 DSC08275_zps9l6pzt5x
Colorado -- Panning the Arkansas River -- 9 Mar 2016 DSC08276_zpssio4vrls

I carefully worked my way up river....looking for anything interesting, any spots that might be good. Right now the river is real low. I am guessing probably 180 to 200 CFS at the Granite Gauge. Right now one could almost walk across the river in a wet suit at several flat, level, gravely places.

It took me a good hour, slowly working my way up the river to the top of the claim. The steep bank and rocks made walking hard. Along the way I found 2 maybe 3 spots that could be worth coming back to in the future. Some pans had black sand & no gold at all. The best pans were from material just below the surface in the orangish/reddish glacial Cache Creek clay material. The Arkansas norm...

Here's a view at the top of the claim looking down and across the river:

Colorado -- Panning the Arkansas River -- 9 Mar 2016 DSC08277_zps9hcld8ab
Colorado -- Panning the Arkansas River -- 9 Mar 2016 DSC08278_zpsa8h3oifc

Here's a look at the whopping 1.3 grains or .08 grams I panned up in about 10 or 11 sample pans:

Colorado -- Panning the Arkansas River -- 9 Mar 2016 DSC08281_zpsjehtazde
Colorado -- Panning the Arkansas River -- 9 Mar 2016 DSC08282_zpslbfkd5xs

Well, no Bonanza.............but I didn't get skunked! Wink

After panning all I cared to I walked back to my Jeep, got out my fly rod and fly fished for about an hour. I was able to harvest one nice 12 inch Brown trout. I caught him on a bead head Zug bug nymph, drifting my fly behind a big boulder then down stream. I can tell you, it was good eating!

Colorado -- Panning the Arkansas River -- 9 Mar 2016 DSC08280_zpsyhroy5tp

So, another great couple hours outdoors, out on the Ark. Hope "you all" get out soon too, have some fun, find some gold.

Randy "C-17A" Smile
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://c17a.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Colorado -- Panning the Arkansas River -- 9 Mar 2016 Empty Re: Colorado -- Panning the Arkansas River -- 9 Mar 2016

Post by russau Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:36 pm

It appears that we are tooooo late for dinner!

russau

Back to top Go down

Colorado -- Panning the Arkansas River -- 9 Mar 2016 Empty Re: Colorado -- Panning the Arkansas River -- 9 Mar 2016

Post by JOHNIFLY Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:49 pm

Good Gold, Good Fishing. What a great adventure.

JOHNIFLY

http://www.millenniumhelicopters.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sat Mar 12, 2016 5:26 am

John,

WELL.................WELCOME to the Forum buddy! Glad you could finally get registered, past the Forumotion roadblock. Smile

Now, you can start posting us dome Trip Reports and video links to some of your gold prospecting exploits under the Eastern U.S. heading.

Thanks for joining and checking my Trip Report out.

Heavy pans,

Randy "C-17A" Smile
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JOHNIFLY Sun Mar 13, 2016 7:59 pm

Admin wrote:John,

WELL.................WELCOME to the Forum buddy!  Glad you could finally get registered, past the Forumotion roadblock.  Smile

Now, you can start posting us dome Trip Reports and video links to some of your gold prospecting exploits under the Eastern U.S. heading.

Thanks for joining and checking my Trip Report out.

Heavy pans,

Randy  "C-17A"  Smile

Yes I will post some stuff for sure. How have you been my friend??

JOHNIFLY

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:38 am

John,

Again..................welcome aboard!

I have been sick the last 2 to 3 weeks, actually. Started with the flu for a week or so, fever, aches, pains, chills.....not last 2 weeks have been a chest/head infection that makes me hack & cough all the time.

May go to the doctor soon if things don't clear up.

Anyways, hope to get out more, prospect more. Just need some of the snow & ice to melt off up at Cache Creek.

Be good, stay safe.....stay healthy! Wink

Randy C-17A Smile
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JOHNIFLY Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:16 pm

Randy,
Hope you get better soon buddy. I was sick last year at this time with that crap and I was down almost two months. Get well soon.

JOHNIFLY

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down