Colorado--Favorite public access prospecting area?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Colorado--Favorite public access prospecting area?

Post by skibuf2 on Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:39 am

Here is something that hopefully will get some posting going. What are your favorite public access prospecting areas to go, and would you go to different places if you could only pan, use a stream sluice, or a powered op (i.e. dredge/highbanker?)

Personally I have only been to Cache Creek with Randy last July, and I am planning to go out either by myself, or with a buddy and our sons this June. I had a blast at Cache Creek and if nothing else I will go back to the same place, but I would not have a problem going somewhere else. Almost anything would have more gold than here in the middle of Illinois Laughing

skibuf2

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Colorado--Favorite public access prospecting area?

Post by russau on Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:51 am

I personally don't like going to any location that puts restrictions on my prospecting / dredgeing and don't go there!

russau

View user profile

Back to top Go down

You already know about Cache Creek, but there

Post by Goldpanner Dave on Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:24 am

is Point Bar on the Ark River near Wellsville, Arapahoe Bar on Clear Creek (west Denver; just Google it), two decent places to get into the South Platte River (Grant Frontier Park; again, Google it), Big Bend, near Steele and 78th (Google Map it). The first So Platte River is just off Sante Fe and Evans on the westside of Denver, Big Bend is on the northeast side.

There is the thread here where Randy shows some places on Clear Creek in Denver. Clear Creek Canyon is open and you can dredge there. Google it.

You can join GPOC for $35/year and have claims near Point Bar and above Fairplay on Beaver Creek. You can dredge for an additional fee at either. You can highbank at the first, but another fee to have highbank permissions. You can sluice at either with just the membership.

Goldpanner Dave

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:38 am

Skibuf2,

WELCOME to the new Gold Adventures Forum!

GREAT question to ask too.  Wink

Yep.  We had fun up at Cache Creek last year..........can't wait for all this snow & ice to melt off, and the ground to unfreeze as well. I am gettin' a pretty bad case of cabin fever.

Dave mentioned a good number of gold prospecting spots here in Kolorado.  Thanks Dave!  Smile  

Trouble is when you say "public" access prospecting spots I am thinking you're referring to free, no fee, no special club or organization membership required?

Well............that makes it a bit harder, because IF you do consider joining a club like the GPAA or Colorado Gold Camp or Gold Prospectors of Colorado, just to name three......you get access to their claims, with whatever accompanying rights/privileges and restrictions they might have.

As to "free" public spots around the Buena Vista area two of my favorite spots are Cache Creek (where you have been) and the AHRA/CPW/BLM Elephant Rock Campground area on the Arkansas River.  The Elephant Rock campground is on County Road 371, North of Buena Vista, on the East side of the river, a couple miles North of town.  The river is closed to claiming and open to "casual use" ops.........meaning a metal detector or non-powered/non-mechanized tools............like a pan, sluice, shovel, buckets, etc.  Open about 100 yards downriver and 1/4 mile upriver if you look at Google Earth with several claim ID overlays.

The Ark has fine, fine flood gold in the right clays & gravels. Cache Creek has larger, chunkier gold.....even some pickers from time to time.

Cache Creek is good after the snow/ice melts to where you can dig/pan/sluice starting early June.  The Ark is normally too high and too fast until mid-August, when they lower the river after rafting/kayaking season ends.

HTH,

Randy  C-17A   Smile
Admin
Admin

View user profile http://c17a.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by skibuf2 on Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:48 pm

Well I was not even thinking the distinction between 'no fee vs. fee vs. membership required,' and thinking about that now those are very crucial distinctions to make. Still being a relative newbie in the world of prospecting, I was looking at it through the lens of public (yes you may have to pay a fee daily/weekly/yearly) vs. this is private land/claim. What I have found through the interwebs is a mix bag of information that makes it difficult to tell who/what/where/how I think the why (to see some yellow in the pan) is obvious. For a novice/newbie the thing that kept me from jumping into the hobby years ago was trying to navigate those questions.
WHO: Who is able to go to certain areas is this a membership required prospecting area, or Joe off the street can pull up and have at it? Does it make a difference in your experience/opinion for the membership areas (GPAA) vs. another free option.
WHERE: Possibly more important than who is where. I say this because if you only have a pan then going to a place where you can only use a pan then Location A might be great, but Location B is better only if you have a dredge, because using only a pan you might not get much.
WHAT: What equipment can I use at this area? Can I use mechanized tools, a pan only, or maybe I can have a stream sluice.
WHEN: While this may not be as crucial, it might help make the post better. Like you said Randy the Ark is too high through August but when the water is down is probably not bad afterwards.
Ultimately, the important part is going out and having fun, and I have been known to go to the mountains before and not take a pan at all and had fun (those days when I was young and didn't know you could do such things.)
Russ you said you only go to places where they let you do whatever you want dredge etc, so where do you like to go?

skibuf2

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:57 am

Skibuf2,

You asked the following questions, below  I'll give you my take after each in red font:

WHO: Who is able to go to certain areas is this a membership required prospecting area, or Joe off the street can pull up and have at it? Does it make a difference in your experience/opinion for the membership areas (GPAA) vs. another free option.

There are very few no fee/open to the public areas that actually have gold, access, water, etc.  I mention 2 I know of here around BV, those being Cache Creek & the Elephant Rock area.  I believe you can go to the BLM Pointe Bar area too for free, IF you don't intend to do any powered ops.  Powered ops needs the 2-year $25 permit.

Any club owned claims.........like the GPAA, GPOC and/or CGC claims obviously need membership.  You'd have to drill into their bylaws and see IF you can take guests with you and IF they might need to sign a release of liability too, that some clubs require when you join.  

I call it a mixed bag as to how worked over, accessible, good vs. bad club claims are as compared to free/no fee public areas. Personally, I've heard the Pointe Bar area is pretty worked over.  I think you could get as much gold on free the Elephant Rock area on the Ark as the GPAA club claims a couple miles up river.  Cache Creek is a mixed bag with lots of places left to mine, but that place can be work!

WHERE: Possibly more important than who is where. I say this because if you only have a pan then going to a place where you can only use a pan then Location A might be great, but Location B is better only if you have a dredge, because using only a pan you might not get much.

Well, being able to simply use a sluice can get you dozens of pans worth of material an hour more dirt moved.  Obviously, being able to used powered ops with a high banker or suction dredge usually means more material moved, maybe less effort and probably more gold.  I hear the CGC has 2 permitted for powered ops claims here near BV.  I think one is on the Ark just below Balltown and the other is their "base camp" lease on O'Neill's property at Twin Lakes.  My comment on joining a club like the CGC for like $165 a year membership would be would you actually use the claims enough in a season to make the $ worth while?  The GPOC is way cheaper, but not sure is any of their claims are permitted for powered ops, worth the effort.....have been worked out.  Maybe ask the Forum here as to clubs, claims, recommendations?

WHAT: What equipment can I use at this area? Can I use mechanized tools, a pan only, or maybe I can have a stream sluice.

Every location can & will be different as to allowed equipment.  If a claim is on federal lands..........say BLM or USFS......without specific permitting for "Notice Level Operations".....which means powered ops, that requires a Plan of Operations, a Notice of Intent, bond money put up for reclamation, you'll at best be limited to "casual Use" operations..........which in their little minds is negligible land disturbance AND non-powered ops (except for a metal detector).  Safe to assume EVERY place you go is casual use/non-powered ops unless proven otherwise.

WHEN: While this may not be as crucial, it might help make the post better. Like you said Randy the Ark is too high through August but when the water is down is probably not bad afterwards.

Here in the High Country, depending on snow/ice melt and temps I can normally get into off river areas end of May/early June.  I can also get to the Ark too, before the flooding starts in May too.  But, both tend to be a bit cold, the ground can still be frozen in places that early.  Cache creek is basically O.K. for me late May until snow/freezing in November.  The Ark, after the flooding starts, is really not good until after mid-August.  Normally need to get as deep as possible into the river bed to get to the better flood gold.

Overall, not easy to get to lots of good gold...........and USFS & BLM are making it harder by the day.  In 1992 BLM had well over 1 million active claims.  Then they started their fees programs, new rules, new restrictions, more red tape and B.S.  Last year we went below 400K claims...to about 385K claims, most commercially held.  SO, a 60+ % drop in claims.  That was and is their goal.  To make it so costly, so onerous, nobody will be able to claim/mine any public land in the U.S.

In 1992 the DoI which owns the USFS & BLM started requiring annual "maintenance" fees of $125 per placer claim. Different annual fees for lode claims, placer claims & mill sites.  Regardless, the plan WASN'T to raise money for their management of our lands.....as they get billions upon billions every year in their budgets.  The "plan" was to start a process of running us all off the land, stop mining.  That annual fee was raised over time and the annual requirement to refile for the claim too, so that people would have to suffer new red tape, do paperwork, meet deadlines, OR lose their claims.  About 2009 DoI raised fees AGAIN...........but this time they decided to attack us even more...  They decreed that the new $155 fee wasn't "per placer claim" regardless of the size, BUT now $155 per every 20 acres or portion of the next 20 acres.  Why?  Simply to attack miners and prospecting clubs that held a large number of claims........speed the destruction of their use up.......simply price them out of the market and off the land.  Imagine a club like the GPAA with dozens of claims across the country.  Imagine a single claim could be up to 160 acres.  Well, before their new fee change that claim only cost the club $155 a year to hold.  NOW, that single claim cost the club $1,240!  That's a 992% increase over the previous $125 a year fee per claim!  Well, most clubs only have X membership, and part of the annual dues goes to salaries, admin expenses and a portion to claims & claims fees/management.  SO, just imagine the negative impact to clubs that can't raise their dues much if at all and can't swell their ranks over night.  In fact, with the price of gold falling from $1,900 to $1,100 today most clubs have probably seen a decline in interest, membership, revenues from dues.  SO, most clubs have been forced to drop claims left & right....shed the less productive ones, focus only on the few that have water, better access, better gold.  This has given the DoI & BLM & USFS exactly what they wanted........fewer and fewer claims and fewer claimants.  Remember, there's an old adage in economics at work here:  "Want less of something, tax it; want more of something, subsidize it."  Well, we're seeing a huge increase over time of not one but TWO "taxes":  1).  The increases in fees is a direct tax.  2).  However, the onerous annual filing, maintenance paperwork/red tape is a second "tax" on time, interest, ability to do it. Today, you have to file a POO, a NOI and negotiate a reclamation bond and put money up with them to be allowed to do motorized/mechanized ops. Otherwise you're limited to "casual use" operations, meaning a metal detector and non-powered hand tools like a pan or sluice, AND do "negligible"  land disturbance. Prior to them "redefining" these new terms you could basically do whatever you wanted on your claim. Not anymore... So, in the end DoI's plan to run us all off our public lands, prevent us from prospecting/mining is working.....sadly.

Randy  C-17A  Smile

Last edited by Admin on Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:42 am; edited 2 times in total
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by dickb on Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:13 pm

"That was and is their goal. To make it so costly, so onerous, nobody will be able to claim/mine any public land in the U.S".

I have been saying this for years and it is the absolute truth. And sadly I haven't seen any signs that it will get better for miners in the near future. Maybe never. There too many people with agendas that have the power and money to prevent us from exercising our rights.

That may change, but it's going to take a lot more support from miners that we have now.

Just my opinion here.

Dickb
dickb

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by russau on Sat Jan 23, 2016 2:51 am

my best friend Leonard Leeper has been saying all along ,"you better get a claim of your own before you cant find a place to mine anymore!!

russau

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:55 am

Russ,

Well...............even with a claim or claims of your own.........the sad trend is STILL to run you off the land and out of prospecting/mining.  

The trend is endlessly one way:  1). more expensive as to money.....in fee & bonds.........2). more onerous as to red tape, bureaucracy,  B.S. just to do what the Mining Law of 1872 AND the intent of Congress was and still is...

Today the DoI has completely ignored its Congressional mandates in the FLMPA of 1976.........that is to best manage ALL our public lands in the USFS & BLM for 1). Multiple Use ............and..........2). Sustained Yield.

The "multiple use" dictate demands DoI allow timbering, mining, energy production, ranging of livestock, fishing, etc. Those lands that have unique features, available resources, need to be managed to best harvest/utilize THAT particular resource.  IF the land had gold..........gold mine.  If it has trees.........log.  If it has grass, grave livestock.  Most these activities do NOT prevent others from "using" the land for other purposes.....like hiking, hunting, shooting, camping, sightseeing, etc.  Multiple use demands EVERYONE get a little here and a little there.  It's NOT all for the eco-Nazis.

However, eco-Nazis have been allowed to TOTALLY corrupt & own the DoI for decades now.  For them, only ONE eventual outcome for EVERY acre of our public lands.........Wilderness and/or National Monument status.  That way NOTHING happens on OUR public lands that THEY don't approve of..........and the land is useless for little more than taking a photograph of and then going home.

We need new leadership in Washington DC and new leadership in ALL our federal agencies!

Randy  C-17A  Smile

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:33 pm

So, what are your opinions on how a change of leadership in Washington has impacted BLM, USFS, EPA, etc., so far in regards to miners?

Dave

Dave

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dickb on Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:00 pm

NONE... they refuse to listen to the public and do it their way. PERIOD

Dickb
dickb

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:20 pm

Dave,

Personally.............I think we're again headed in the right direction since Trump won the White House...

He's TRYING to rein in the friggin' EPA and DOI..........at least a little bit.

Good he's "reviewing" National Monuments going back 2 decades.  Obama did the most damage of ANY president......34 NMs created or expanded and over 556 million acres placed off limits to everyone but eco-Nazis.  He even created a NM for homosexuals....NO kidding.  Embarassed

http://thehill.com/policy/energy-environment/284789-obama-creates-first-national-gay-rights-monument

He also quadrupled the size of the Hawaii marine reserve up to 583,000 square MILES............not acres...........miles. It's over twice the size of Texas! So no fishing, nothing there too: https://www.theverge.com/2016/8/26/12658716/obama-quadruple-national-marine-reserve-hawaii-papahanaumokuakea

Problem is even with a new director of the EPA or DOI........everyone else below that appointee is basically "a government employee" that can't be fired, let go, expunged, removed...  WAY too many government BS rules on firing employees, even A-holes, problem workers, failures.  

I saw it first hand as a major at McChord AFB back in 2000 thru 2003.  We had a civilian in wing training that was wildly over weight, slept at his desk, came in late, disappeared at times, did shitty work.  I was the deputy of wing training and so me and the chief of wing training, decided to "fix" the problem.  We called him in, laid down the law, told him to shape up or ship out.

Guess what?

He filed a grievance with the union, WE were told WE were the problem.  He'd gotten 10 years of "good" performance appraisals........as nobody previous wanted to call him out....just keep ignoring the problem.

We documented a year's worth of shitty work, errors, late suspenses.........and put him on one performance improvement plan after another.  Did endless written counseling sessions.  We tried to fire him but the union again said WE were the problem, were "out to get him" despite the obvious documentation, paperwork, proof, etc.  

In the end the group commander said he'd simply shift him over from wing training to ops group to avoid a threatened lawsuit.  So, he NEVER got fired!  He basically got a promotion!  THIS is the problem with government....and civil service employees.  Until they die or retire they are fixed for life.  SO, no way to root out the eco-Nazis and godless Commie Liberals that have infiltrated the EPA, DOI, USFS, BLM, USFWS, etc.

Sadly, like Dickb said..........we'll need revolution again, a wholesale house cleaning..........start over from scratch.  These "educated" eco-Nazis will simply "resist", wait Trump out.....then keep doing as they please.

Randy  C-17A   Smile
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by russau on Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:24 pm

I've always heard that you NEVER promote a good worker ONLY the lazy ones to get them away from you!

russau

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:29 pm

Had the same experience with a woman that would go on break (she didn't smoke, but said she deserved the same 15 min break they did; besides her previous job was in the vault and they gave her 15 min there, so when she was hired into my organization, she was taking 15 mins). However, we were a computer service organization and all of us worked on computers and her job was to answer the phone and direct the calls to us.

I took over as boss and noticed that her 15 min breaks were 30 min or more. How did we know--no one was answering the phones! So we had a chat. She blew up and threatened EEO action. I told her she'd better think because no one was harassing her nor were we "tracking" her as she accused, but that she was not doing her job of answering the phone, so either she started doing her job or it would show up in her next appraisal.

Then I went upstairs and told the Colonel what was going on. He said she had pulled that before and tell her, and quote him, "She better stop pulling that cr@p or he would expend the manpower to document and fire her @ss." I told her exactly that, but left off the last word.

She stopped it with me, but I left in about a year and don't know what happened after that. Funny thing was, I looked at her previous appraisals and while they were not superior, they weren't bad either. So I think people gave her good enough write-ups hoping someone would hire her away from them. Like Russ said.

Dave

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:31 pm

I am hoping Trump is in long enough (2 terms) to get rid of some of them. I think Trump has made a good start, especially considering that the dems are fighting him and the RINOS (including Ryano) are not helping him.

Dave

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by russau on Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:31 am

My question is : and while all this is going on......who is running our great Country? What "is" being done to help our Country and Her people get ahead? And are the people soooooooooooooo stupid that they cant see this happening? OR do they even care ? AND the big question for me is , why aren't these so called "representatives" of ours that are starting all this "stuff" NOT being charged violating their oath of office and with trying to over through the U.S. Government ? Surely they desearve this charge !!! Shocked Shocked YEP a real eye opener for sure!!

russau

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:23 am

Russ, Dave,

Who is really running the country?  HA!  

It's called the "Deep State".  These are ALL the people I was talking about..........not the very few political appointees at the very top that come and go from administration to administration...

I am talking about ALL the other "lifers" in the #2 position on down to the field offices at say BLM.  They are government civilians that are FOREVER in their jobs until retirement or death that simply "wait out" any president or big boss they don't like/agree with and simply keep doing what they want day after day, year after year pushing their ideological agenda and all Congress does is fully fund them to keep doing what THEY want and write all the "law" they want and publish it in the Federal Register.

Today Congress has ZERO control of the 4th Branch of Government -- the Deep State.  Departments and agencies so big, so bureaucratic THEY control the real power.....fully funded and unaccountable as the Federal Reserve.

The last big piece of legislation passed by Congress was Obama's Affordable Care Act........w/o a single Republican vote and the second worst piece of legislation in all U.S. history except for the Federal Reserve Act of 1913, the absolute worst!

Today Congress couldn't pass a new big bill..........in a bipartisan way, like the Federal Land Management Policy Act of 1976 or any other.  Hell, they can't even fund the $4 trillion monster called government except for a multi thousand Omnibus spending bill so all get their pork and waste and bridges to nowhere funded.  It's now become all or nothing.  No debate, no scruteny, no control.

Congress' "power of the purse" has totally been squandered when they got away from separate funding bills for separate departments and agencies.  They gave up ALL control and so the Deep State gives Congress and the American people the big middle finger.....drunk with cash and limitless power.

Like I said before, it WILL take a revolution, lots of rope and lots of walls to stand them up against.............and then start over.

Randy  C-17A  Smile
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by russau on Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:57 am

Well I don't know about any revolution.............BUT until the people of our great Land get up and get involved , this rough shod treatment and way of life WILL continue despite our complaints! "Oh what a tangled web we weave ,when we practice to deceive!"

russau

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top